I read romance novels.
Mostly in Drs. offices...because they're easy to put down when my name is called.
My 'reading for pleasure' preferences are Dean Koontz, Anne Rule, and Stephen King. My all-time favorite book is Stephen King's 'The Stand'.
My mind needs to be challenged to "get into" a book and romances don't quite cut it. I always know how it's going to end.
As a matter of fact, after finishing most of them, I actually say to myself, "Well, that was stupid."
Especially the stories where the female "falls in love" with an asshole. You know the type, he treats her like shit til her total sweetness brings out his hidden tender side...
Gag!
Then there are the stories where the woman is a total bitch, doing nothing but screaming and yelling (and sometimes slapping the guy).
Who, of course, "understands" and takes it til she has an epiphany. Realizing how selfish she's being, while he waits in the wings to sweep her away.
Double gag!
What it is about "bad boys" and "bitches" that attracts someone?
Back when I read, I was a huge fan of Koontz, Rule and King! I'm sure there was a time I read romance novels, way back when I was a very young woman. It's been ages since I read a book, too many blogs to keep up with!
ReplyDeleteSo... what kind of lit do you like if not those bad boys/bitches?
ReplyDeleteAh, I missed the Dean Kootz, Stephen King reference. I used to read them too. But eventually, as my patience wanes... Stephen King annoys me. Too wordy. I'm tired from Life already. Dean Kootz is kinda cool... especially when he writes about SoCal, where I grew up! I know those places!
ReplyDeleteI loved The Stand!
ReplyDeleteI wish I knew why some of us love the bad boy. Because we're secret bad girls?
I have no real idea about these romance novels that you speak of, for I do not know how to read. :-)
ReplyDelete*triple gag* I can't tolerate books like that. Someone once gave me a book where the woe-is-me girl's name was Camilla and the moody-SOB guy's name was Jacques. As soon as I read the names I knew the book was going to suck! I think I made it all of 1/8 the way through before I ditched it. I really, REALLY didn't care what became of crybaby Camilla and jerky Jacques. Blah.
ReplyDelete