Friday, December 14

So sad...

It's hard to fathom why someone would instigate a shooting spree. But, unfortunately, it happens far too often these days.


Sadly, it was an elementary school this time. :' (

Maybe now someone will do something about the gun laws...

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with protecting yourself with a hand gun.

But NO ONE needs an assault rifle.

6 comments:

  1. Those poor people. Sadly, I believe criminals will still have whatever type gun they choose. Only honest people will comply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, this will change nothing. Defective people have been doing this kind of thing for a long time, and laws keep getting tighter, but it keeps happening.

    You can outlaw guns, but people who want them will still get them. I mean, cocaine and heroin are illegal, but has that stopped people from dying due to them.

    And the gun isn't the issue. It's a tool. It could have been a bus driven into the side of the building or a knife or a ___________. You can't stop it all short of Nerf-ign the planet.

    I'd rather people focus on getting more mental healthcare / interventions / counseling out there to people who are near the edge so they don't go over it. We can keep ratcheting tighter the gun laws on the law abiding, but if "Thou Shall Not Kill" hasn't sunk in after a few thousand years, I'm just not sure what any new law is going to do to help.

    :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 24-hour news cycle has to stop as well. I believe this sensationalizes these horrific events and plants seeds. Our culture of violence needs to change IMHO.

    I remember when my kids were younger and my boss at the time told me flat out that she would rather her kids watch violent movies than movies with any kind of sex. Even very mild sexual scenes. I remember being shocked! Let's think through this stuff!

    Of course I'm not advocating letting kids watch overly sexual movies, my point is simply that why the comfort with violence, but the discomfort with sex. She isn't alone in her thinking. Just sayin' as they say.

    smooches and hugs to everyone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that the incidents of mass shootings are actually down in the last 20 years? I was surprised by that. I thought we were seeing more of them, too, but we're just hearing about them more and for longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, here's how I feel about it:

    Nobody (NOBODY!) but the military needs a high powered rifle that has no purpose but to kill as many people as possible in mere seconds with no effort or skill involved. That's not a "self-defense" weapon, that's a slaughter tool.

    That being said, a killer can kill a person with ANYTHING--a knife, a baseball bat, a razor blade, a piece of string, even their bare hands, etc--it would just take him/her more effort and would give the potential victims more of a fighting chance. If Adam Lanza had broken into the school with an ax, there would still have been victims, but not nearly as many.

    In a nutshell, I think Rambo-type guns have no place in the hands of civilians, however, I don't think that banning them will end all mass killings. We need to address the mental health issue as well.

    Adam Lanza was, clearly, a complete psycho. I can't believe he was running around loose in society! When you hear interviews with people who knew him, they all say he wasn't right in the head. There were warning signs since he was a little kid, and it appears no-one took those warnings seriously enough because he wasn't ever given the help he needed. I'm not saying we should lock up all odd people, of course, but I definitely think that, as a society, we need to start taking warning signs MUCH more seriously. If someone is frightening the people around them, THERE NEEDS TO BE PSYCHIATRIC INVOLVEMENT TO SET THINGS RIGHT BEFORE THEY GO HORRIBLY WRONG.

    I personally know someone who scares half the people he comes into contact with, who can't get along with anyone, who is always angry, and who--TWICE--threatened to burn a middle school down and line the teachers up and shoot them in public. The school called the police. The police asked him if he had any guns. He said yes (in fact, he keeps his guns in a cardboard box with his ex-wife's picture!). The police asked him if he said those things about the teachers and the school. He lied and said no, that there had been a "misunderstanding", and that was the end of it. The police did nothing more, and the school did nothing more. He's still wandering around out in public and taking his kids to and from school!

    In my opinion, anyone who says alarming things like that ought to, at the very least, be in mandatory counselling until the counselor determines he/she is mentally stable enough not to be a threat to others OR until the counselor determines he/she needs to be in a mental institution for the sake of public safety. It's not enough to just say 'Did you threaten to kill the teachers? No? Oh, okay, have a nice day!' IF that guy I know ever does snap and goes on a killing spree, the police are going to have a lot to answer to for basically poo-pooing the report of the threat and ignoring the warning signs of a dangerous person.

    So, anyway, that's my opinion. I think we have a lot of work to do.

    ReplyDelete

My mom always said "'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'", but I'm not mom.

I always reply by e-mail, so make sure that's possible...