I grew up swimming but the last time I got into/out of a pool myself was in 2008. Disabled people usually have excellent upper body strength because their arms become their legs (so to speak) but due to 'old age' and overuse, my shoulders are shot.
So I've been pondering the purchase of a pool lift to be able to swim again. I'm not getting any younger...or thinner. After age 40, woman seem to attract flab. Especially this woman. Grr!
Anywho, I've been talking to my guy about the feasibility of a lift. It's not cheap and I'd only use it about 3 months out of the year, but he always makes sense of these types of issues.
He: "It's becoming a necessity, right? What would you do without the w/c? I'll tell you. You'd be dragging your body around on your knuckles and people would be calling you 'knuckle dragger'. Wouldn't that be fun?"
Me: *snorting* "Okay, okay, I get your point. I'll look into it. Are you done?"
He: "For now."
Smartass. : P
If you have a pool, I think it would be very feasible!
ReplyDeleteI don't think a wheel chair ramp into/out of the pool would work, so a lift is a good idea. And the swimming may really help with the shoulders.
ReplyDeleteA pool lift? Wouldnt it be easier just to lift you? Pools are heavy.
ReplyDeleteNo wonder you love that man. He's as much of a smart ass as you are!
ReplyDeleteHa!
smooches
Go get yourself a lift! If you miss swimming and if that makes you happy, then I guess this will be a wise investment :)
ReplyDeleteI am a paraplegia and I use the wheelchair full time. I am not yet that old but I acquired the disability due to a vehicular accident.
Take care and God bless,
Farida:)
By the way, I don't know if my email works. Many friends are complaining that they can't reach me. Nonetheless, you can email me at inlovewithsunflower at yahoo dot com.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to know you more and may be learn new tricks using the wheelchair from you as well :)
If you live in So Cal and you have a pool in your backyard, I say USE IT, girlie! That pool WANTS to be used and no pool in So Cal deserves to be snubbed and ignored. Think of the pool's feelings. The pool misses you. *sniff* You should totally get the lift. :-)
ReplyDelete