
Does she know the sex of her baby? Did she even look?
What is it with parents saddling their baby girls with (typically) male names?
I was watching a tv show the other day where a couple was planning on naming their baby girl Justin.
That's right, Justin.
When the woman's friends questioned her (who wouldn't?), she said, "I think it's cute."
Cute? You might as well put a bullseye on her forehead.
The friends asked, "What if they tease her in school?"
The future mom naively replied, "She'll be a strong person and deal with it."
Mmm, hmm...that's why there's a movie out right now called 'Bully'.
I'm just sayin'.
On the other end of the spectrum, some couples name their baby girls ridiculously cutesy names. Like the couple who named their daughter Lulu Bell.
Sure, it'll be cute until she's ten. But I can tell you one thing...Lulu Bell is going to be the teenage girl from hell.
1) The other kids are going to tease her mercilessly. Probably starting in 5th grade, if not sooner.
2) She'll eventually realize that people name their poodles Lulu Bell.
To be fair (who me?), in high school I wanted to shorten my name to change my image from the 'girl' to the 'woman'. But then I would've have the same name as a brother and that was unacceptable. Believe me! : P
Do you know any girls with male-centric names? Or vice versa? I do know a guy named Joy (it's his middle name, but still). Yikes!
*I heard she gained over 50 pounds during her pregnancy. Holy cow! Literally.
One of the partners at the law firm my son works for, named one daughter Campbell and the other daughter is also a mainly male name that I can't think of at the moment. I want to say it's Connor, or something like that.
ReplyDeleteI dated a girl with a nickname of "Cornshucks". Maxwell would have been an improvement.
ReplyDeleteThere are worse naming trends out there.
People seem to think that baby naming is some sort of weird competition!
ReplyDeleteBut for a celebrity, "Maxwell" for a girl isn't too bad. It's not "Blue Ivy Carter".
ReplyDeleteAnd "Maxy" isn't too bad.
I gained 45 pounds with both of my pregnancies. It came off. Crazy how some women gain nothing and some gain lots!
ReplyDeleteI had a friend that named their son Kermit. No lie. !!!!!
Oh jeez. Now Maxwell will be the new popular girls name. Just watch. I felt the same sense of what-the-heck when I first heard of a girl being named MacKenzie and then suddenly *POOF!* there were MacKenzies EVERYWHERE and suddenly the name didn't seem so ugly anymore.
ReplyDelete