Wednesday, June 6

Do I look THAT weak?...

I had 2 Dr. appts. this week and something that annoys the holy hell out of me happened both times. The medical assistant started to reach out as if to push my chair for me.

I'm in a manual w/c and who do they think pushes me when I'm not in a medical building?

I would say that 95% of manual w/c users are stronger than the average person. Okay, that may be pushing it (no pun intended) but we're not weaklings. When your legs don't work, your arms have to.

I get that some people need assistance, but it would be nice if they tried asking first. You wouldn't approach an elderly lady at a crosswalk, grab her elbow, and start yanking her along.

Would you?

7 comments:

  1. Now, now, Miss Independent. I can think of a whole lotta things much worse than somebody offering help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what the tazer is for, duh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all screwed up now. Not that it's anything new.

    I was raised to help. Now adays you dont know whether to hold a door open or not. Now you dont whether to help wheel chair folks. Okay. I'm gonna tell them to call you.

    I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bottom line is, people mean well. It's better than someone slamming a door in your face instead of holding in open for you, right? People are ignorant, and I mean that in the nicest way. They don't think to first ask if you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya. One time I was at a busy crosswalk next to a gal with a white cane. It was before the days of beeping crosswalks. I was concerned about her safety, so I just starting talking to her and said "The light is green." We both crossed I often wondered if I did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Pat said, people do mean well. I am not handicapped, yet I appreciate it when someone holds an elevator or door for me. It's no biggy darling.

    Now if some m-f-er tries to take a handicap parking space, I'm right there with my umbrella to beat the crapski out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People can be stupid. It's as simple as that.

    ReplyDelete

My mom always said "'if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all'", but I'm not mom.

I always reply by e-mail, so make sure that's possible...