This thing keeps popping up, so I thought I'd make (sort of) a Public Service Announcement.
When you invite a disabled person to an event, take the time to call or visit the place to make sure it's actually accessible.
I was invited to a party on Sunday but didn't feel well enough to go. I found out, after the fact, that I couldn't have gotten very far into the building, even if I had wanted to.
Then again, if you're talking to an idiot, calling doesn't always help. I was invited to a wedding where the groom did call the reception hall and was told the women's restroom was handicap accessible.
Turns out, I could get into the restroom but not into the stall.
EPIC FAIL!
I should've asked the bride to check out the hall. Or had my guy do it (didn't know him at the time, but still).
He went to a restaurant where a few friends were going to have dinner and talked to the manager, insisting on seeing the woman's restroom himself.
The manager got a waitress to see if the stalls were empty and let my guy into the room to check out the handicap stall.*
Now, THAT'S dedication.
*it was more than adequate and he's still proud of it.
Good idea! We ran into a few of those issues with my Mom. Another thing that we hadn't accounted for, was her being in a wheelchair for her mother's funeral and having to be carried, chair and all, to the hilly graveside.
ReplyDeleteVery true!
ReplyDeleteOne thing that I find is that looking at restroom stalls, even though it is a handicapped stall, there doesn't seem to be enough room for a person to transfer herself from the chair to the toilet. Either that or the door won't open far enough to allow the chair to enter.
A case of "walk in my shoes". Unless people experience it themselves, or because of someone close to them, they just don't get it.
ReplyDeleteKathy always wanted her and Skyler to have a job where they just went around to businesses checking out accessibility issues.
ReplyDeleteAnd then, you just know, the stall will be out of paper.
ReplyDeleteI will say it again - as I always do - your guy is great.
ReplyDeleteWow, I like your guy. (NOT that way, he's your guy.) I think Pat's right--people don't get it. It's not because they're heartless, though, it's because it doesn't cross their mind.
ReplyDeleteIt is sad that in this day and age that this has to happen. We have made progress but more needs to be done. In my city all of the crosswalk curbs are being sloped to allow for wheelchairs. It's about time.
ReplyDeleteUgh. I know what you mean. I've seen some disabled bathroom stalls where there's just NO WAY a wheelchair would fit in with ample room for a person to transfer from the chair to the throne without being a contortionist. What are people thinking?
ReplyDelete