She: What's wrong with your legs?
Me: I was born with a disability.
She: Are you okay?
Me: I'm fine.
(while I was wheeling away) She: You're good at that.
Me: I've had lots of practice.
I 'get' that she was curious but am I wrong to think that she was rude? I would never ask an overweight person, "What's wrong with your stomach?" - so why do people think they can do it to me?
If a little kid (under 10) asks, I appreciate the teaching moment and answer in terms they can understand. But when an adult asks, I'm about thisclose to saying something obnoxious and rude.
Other than, "There's nothing WRONG with me" what would you suggest? Seriously, I want to know...and obnoxiousness is still allowed.
There are alot of crass, stupid people in the world. She is one of them. She is the one with a disability. A mental one.
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised you didn't tell her how the cow ate the cabbage! Not nearly the same as your situation, but my daughter used to have knee-length, gorgeous hair and it was like an open invitation to make yourself welcome to touch it. Used to drive her and me, crazy. I didn't want to cut it, but she said she was sick of people always wanting to play with it, especially in school.
ReplyDeleteSOme folks dont have a clue.
ReplyDeleteUmm yeah, she deserved a bit of sarcasm laced with rude. Some people are so simple.
ReplyDeletePeeps is stupid.
ReplyDeleteWas it a Wal-Mart? Super-duper stupid peeps usually in that store.
I LOVE what Steven said! She really is the one with the disability.
She: What's wrong with your legs?
ReplyDeleteYou: My man's face isn't between them.
And cut! End scene.
Idiot: "What's wrong with your legs?"
ReplyDeleteYou: "They're not kicking your ass. Yet."
But Scope's answer is better.
And, yes, she was totally rude. She has all the tact of a three year old.
I understand people are curious but how she asked you was inappropriate.
ReplyDeleteSome people really have no tact.
People ask what happened to Skyler all the time. It depends on the person asking, as you well know, because you can tell sincerity from rudeness.
ReplyDeleteFor the rude people, I just answer I beat him as a child.
I'm going to ask you a question in return, because I'm really curious. What would have been a more appropriate way for this lady behave? Should she have asked in a different way, or ignored your wheelchair altogether?
ReplyDeleteI just sometimes wonder what's right.
People can be ridiculously rude, and invasive, and ignorant. I get that she was curious, but something about the whole exchange felt condescending to me. I think you handled it perfectly.
ReplyDeleteAnd can I just say that I love your honesty? Your blog is one of my favorites.