I went for a blood test on Tuesday, only to be told that I didn't have the paperwork I needed (it was supposed to be taken care of).
So I got it and went back yesterday. The computers were down so it took forever to process and get the test, when I had been told that I'd get right in. Grr!
Then, that night, I saw a post on Facebook that made my heart drop and splatter all over the ground.
I know there's a war going on, but it was always 'over there'. I never thought it would matter to me. But I was wrong.
A life-long friend's son was killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday (local time). He left behind his grandparents, mom & dad, brothers, a sister, a month old niece, and his wife of just 1 1/2 years. He turned 25 last month.
The truly sad part is that he was due to come home in 2 weeks.
The battle's over,
The victory's won.
A soldier makes his journey home.
He fought so hard,
He fought so long.
And now he sings a victor's song.
It was not easy.
It was not slight.
But it was such a worthy fight.
The battle scars,
They tell the tale,
That war sometimes can be like Hell.
But he fought the fight,
Endured the pain,
For he knew just he would gain.
Commendations,
Medals, cheers,
Those things fade across the years.
But his gain would be
Much more than that--
A place where only few have sat.
An honored seat,
A place of call,
To sit before his General,
And hear the words
That come from Him,
"You fought the fight, now enter in!"
~Donnie Peeler c1992~
Rest In Peace, Phillip
So tragic and so young. My condolences to those he leaves behind.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your friends son. Their family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about your friend's son. He is a hero and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. That's heartbreaking.
ReplyDeleteI had a number of friends and classmates go to Iraq and Afghanistan and two of them never came home. It's hard to see that.
That is a wonderful poem, I have sen it many times before. I am sorry for your loss, and thankful for his service.
ReplyDeleteI'm so so sorry little girl. I am sending white light to your friends.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear this. Please send my condolences to his family and to you, too.
ReplyDeleteThat's horrible. I'm so very, very sorry.
ReplyDelete