I was watching a news report about bullies and they interviewed a martial arts instructor who said bullying has a lot to do with body language.
He said bullies pick on kids who are soft-spoken, shy, don't make eye contact, and draw within themselves.
Well, guess what? I've been bullied exactly twice in my life.
The 1st time when I was 10...and in front of the brothers. *cough*stupid move*cough* They jumped him. He apologized 3 times in the next 10 years. The last time was when I went to dinner with 2 of them and the guy was our waiter.
Moral of the story: don't bully someone, then get a service job. Especially when she has brothers.
The 2nd time was in high school. Some guy asked, "What would you do if I took that (motioning to a crutch) away from you?"
I replied, "I'd smack you with the other one." I would've fallen on my face...but HE didn't know that.
Moral to the story: don't try to bully someone who has a sarcastic personality.
When I entered the dating scene, I met guys at local restaurants.
I remember one who looked at me then walked away. I thought he didn't like the way I looked and left. A minute later, he walked by again and I smiled at him.
He approached me and said, "So it IS you. You had this 'Don't *f* with me' look on your face and I wasn't sure."
So THAT'S the secret! Having brothers, verbal sallies, and looking pissed off. : P
I used to get bullied a lot as a kid. I didn't like to talk much because I had a British accent back then and the other kids used to make fun of me for saying things "wrong" so I used to keep quiet out of fear. Yep. Bullies LOVE crap like that! Jerks.
ReplyDeleteOne of my childhood bullies actually tried to friend me on facebook. Ha! I couldn't believe her nerve. Clicking 'ignore' felt sooooooooooo gooooooooood.
I was fortunate enough growing up to never get bullied even tho I am soft spoken and shy.
ReplyDeleteI was lucky I spose to grow up where I didnt see anyone get bullied.
I wouldn't say I got bullied but there was one asshole kid on our block that made fun of me all the time. He used to make fun of my friend's brother too until she kneed him in the nards. After that? Not so much!
ReplyDeleteI've definitely got the sarcasm and pissed off, don't mess with me look in my favor!
ReplyDeleteIt's definitely in the attitude. My twin sister is, and always has been, a tough cookie. Even when she was little and scrawny, she'd protect me, her average-sized twin, from bullies!
ReplyDeleteBTW - I "tagged" you in my blog. Come visit and see.
For me, I've always found it tough to balance an approachable demeanor along with a don't-mess-with-me kind of stance. How do we combine the two??
ReplyDeleteI apparently look pissed off most of the time these days. I guess that explains a lot!
ReplyDelete