I don't remember exactly what day he was taken off life-support. But I do remember that we said "Goodbye" to him 30 years ago today.
He was 3 weeks away from his 49th birthday when he had the accident. He was loud, crude, and obnoxious (I like to think I get it from him). He could also be as sweet as sugar and the nicest man you'd ever met.
He was my favorite uncle.
Have you ever known someone who's death affected you so much that you never forget it? Needless to say, Halloween lost it's charm that day. And I remember it like it was yesterday.
The only consolation I have is that he saved the lives of 4 people and someone else's eyesight by donating his organs.
The one good memory I have of that day is getting to smash a jerk's...junk. What can I say? He was pissing me off. Even the brothers said he deserved it.
Btw, I did it again the next year because he said, "I bet you can't do it again."
Some people never learn...and my uncle would've said, "That's my girl!"
Hmm, suddenly I'm feeling better! *snicker*
I'm sorry for your loss but what a great thing he did by donating his organs.
ReplyDeleteWho did you junk punch?
There are months throughout the year that I dread because of the memories of losing someone.
ReplyDeleteIt's so unfair when holidays are tainted with sad memories.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard losing someone you love, but the holidays, I don't care which one, are especially hard.
ReplyDeleteI must say, I NEVER know what I'm going to find here when I come to visit! Smashed balls, indeed!
Death I can handle - but the other? Ouch.
ReplyDeleteAw, I'm sorry about your uncle but how wonderful that he was an organ donor.
ReplyDeleteMy parents got married on Halloween. My parents are now divorced. Halloween hasn't quite lost its appeal, though. ;)
I got married on Halloween. It lasted just over a year. Think I'm going to let THAT ruin my favorite holiday? Hell no.
ReplyDeleteI'm soooooo sorry about your favorite uncle. That's awful. But it's awesome that he saved the lives of four people. What a generous gift to give!
I'm sorry about your uncle. He does live on in the memories. smooches girl
ReplyDeleteTell more about the smashed junk story! I want to know! lol