
My oldest brother and I haven't lived together in 30+ years. But while talking about our childhood home, we laughed about how we have the same memories...of the house, the old neighborhood, the neighbors, etc.
Considering that we didn't 'grow up' together (he left home while I was still a kid), we've always felt close because of the memories we share.
The family stories and inside jokes, the secrets we kept from our parents, the half-baked relatives we wish we didn't have, all contribute to the fun we have whenever we get together.
Which isn't often enough, in my mind...
Do you have any family secrets, I mean stories?
We moved from the first house we lived in but carved our initials into the window sills. Curious if those are still there.
ReplyDeleteWe had family on both sides that ran moonshine back in the day.
Sadly I don't. My sister and I didn't get along growing up and we still don't get along as adults.
ReplyDeleteI raised four kids, in the same house, with the same parents and you would hardly know they are related! It's amazing how different their memories are!
ReplyDeleteThe good memories seem to be a long, long time ago. I have a few siblings that I'm very close to and some I haven't really talked to in over 20 years. Probably the best memory is my brother and me hitting rocks with a wooden board toward the railroad boxcars that were about 200 feet from our house. If you could "clink" a rock off a boxcar you were the All Star of the day. I remember carefully searching for the perfect rock which was usually about the size of a jawbreaker. Geez, I haven't thought about this for 40 some years.
ReplyDeleteSome are awesome! We had lots of fun when we were little. I love sitting around and talking about all the things we would do.
ReplyDeleteMy big brother is 8 years older than me and I was more of a nuisance as we were growing up than anything else. But we're closer now, and get along well, and it's really nice to have someone to complain about our parents to!
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't until VERY recently that I fessed up to my mom that I used to stay up late and watch TV in my brother's room on nights she had class and we were supposed to be in bed. She had no idea I had been such a consistent viewer of Johnny Carson.
ReplyDeleteI'm the same way with my little brother. I'm closer in age to my sister, but bro and I have much more in common. I'd do anything for that fella. :-)
ReplyDelete