As you may have heard, we had a MASSIVE wind storm on Wednesday night. You haven't heard about it? Well, looky here:
2011 windstorm
200 trees were blown down in my city alone.* I didn't even know we had that many trees!
While at a red light on Friday, I was facing a green light. I asked my mom, "Shouldn't it be facing the other way?" Sure enough, the light (bolted to a steel pole) had been blown 90 degrees.
Monday, we drove through a neighboring city. Fallen trees were everywhere and lots of street lights weren't functioning. Which made me realize something, So. Cal. has some pretty crappy drivers. A flashing red light means STOP!
Some peeps I know are still without power but we were lucky. A few shingles fell off the roof and the pool had more leaves than water, but that's it. Part of our street was blocked off, due to thick branches in the road. Luckily, the trees fell across the sidewalk.
They say this happens every 10 years or so, but I don't remember it EVER being this bad. One gust was clocked at 94 mph.
Listening to the wind blow and the windows rattle was pretty damn scary...and I've lived through some intense earthquakes!
*I don't live in Pasadena but they got the brunt of the storm.
Hope things calm down. Having lived in a place dubbed, "The Windy City", I can totally relate.
ReplyDeleteThat is scary stuff. Where I live there are tornadoes and straight-line winds during the summer months and they can be fantastic in their strength and power. Truly scary-ass stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you and yours are safe!
The worst windstorm I ever saw was in Seattle in 1993. We didn't have power for almost a week afterwards and there were trees literally ripped in half everywhere I looked. Just frightening.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.climate.washington.edu/stormking/January1993.html
I heard about it for DAYS! Glad you didn't have any damage to anything. I heard Salt Lake got hit really hard too, some of my friends from there still don't have power..
ReplyDeleteY'all have trees?
ReplyDeleteHoly shhhh... cow! That's hurricane force winds. Glad your damage was minimal. It could have been so much worse!
ReplyDeleteIt got a little breezy at my house. I guess God likes us more.
ReplyDelete